Bay City Electric and Light in central Michigan has a problem on its hands. A big one.
They shut off electricty to a 93-year old World War II veteran, and the man froze to death. In his own home. Per WNEM 5 and MLive.
Oh, the irony. He had the utility bill on his kitchen table with a large amont of money clipped to it. It is obvious the man had intention to make a payment. But he died before he could do that. The temperature was less than 32 degreees F inside his home the day he was found by neighbors.
A man who proudly served his country during one of the great wars as an Army medic. Yet the community in which he resided, appeared to neglect him as a human and as a veteran. His electricity was turned off, leading to his death. This man may have survived the war, but his community of fellow Americans younger than he failed him.
A medical examiner who conducted the autopsy on Schur told TV5 and WNEM.com that Schur died a painful death due to the hypothermia.
Dr. Kanu Varani has done hundreds of autopsies, and he said he’d never seen a person die of hypothermia indoors.
A neighbor who lives across the street from Schur is angered that the city didn’t personally notify the elderly man about his utility situation.
See video here.
Only after his death, has the city and power company decided to change its notification policy with consumers. A travesty that this could not have been done with foresight.